OW80: IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Performance Analysis and Tuning for IBM i
DURATION: 3 days
SCHEDULED DATES: TBD – Contact Us for more Information
This course is designed for iSeries professionals whose responsibilities include performance analysis and tuning for IBM WebSphere Application Server and iSeries-based solutions.
The course details a systematic approach for developing and implementing an end-to-end performance optimization monitoring process. It commences with optimization techniques for the iSeries and OS/400 foundation, progresses to optimizing the WebSphere Application Server and other associated middleware layer, and extends to considerations for optimizing the application and database access layer. Tools for general monitoring purposes, as well as detailed analysis and tracing are an integral component of each topic.
The course lectures cover the concepts of a measure, analyze, and tune methodology for each of the key components that comprise a WebSphere Application Server-based solution.
The course labs reinforce these concepts by having the student perform this methodology on each of these key components to understand and optimize the end-to-end performance of a WebSphere Application Server-based solution.
This course is intended for iSeries performance analysts, system administrators, consultants, application developers and IT architects. It is also appropriate for WebSphere Application Server performance analysts from other platforms who are unfamiliar with the iSeries implementation.
This course requires a good understanding of WebSphere Application Server V6 architecture and administration concepts on iSeries servers (as provided by course SW512 – WebSphere Application Server V6.0 Administration for iSeries) and familiarity with J2EE application technologies (Servlets, JSPs, EJBs, JDBC, JMS, and so forth).
Students are also required to review the modules found in the Performance section of the IBM Application Server V6 and V6.0.1 Education Assistant Web site (http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/education/assistant/WASv6_Task.shtml) in order to gain a basic understanding of the performance features found in WebSphere Application Server V6.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Articulate the key performance metrics for IBM i, HTTP Server, JVM, WebSphere Application Server, application, and database access components that comprise WebSphere-based solutions running on the IBM i platform
• Describe the tools and techniques for monitoring IBM i, HTTP Server, JVM, WebSphere Application Server, application, and database access components that comprise Web-Sphere-based solutions running on an IBM i platform
• Apply performance tuning and optimization techniques for IB i, HTTP Server, JVM, WebSphere Application Server, application, and database access components that comprise Web applications running on the IBM i platform
• Use appropriate tools that monitor and measure performance metrics for WebSphere-based solution components
• Analyze and tune WebSphere Application Server and other middleware components that comprise a Java Enterprise Edition (EE) based application
• Apply best practices for performance monitoring, analysis and tuning
• Performance Methodology
• Basic iSeries Performance Analysis and Tuning
• Network and HTTP Server Performance Analysis and Tuning
• Java Virtual Machine Performance Analysis and Tuning
• WebSphere Application Server Performance Analysis and Tuning
• Application Design and Development for Performance
• Database Design and Access Performance Analysis and Tuning